Ah Tinder, the OG dating app giant. Used by seemingly everyone, from my recently divorced aunt to my weird teenage next-door neighbor. It really is an app that spans demographics.
I mean, I’ve been using Tinder on and off for years. It’s my job, after all. You’d find it tough to find a person on the dating scene who hasn’t heard of Tinder, which only gets more true as app dating becomes increasingly mainstream year after year. At this point, it’s hard to remember what we did before.
But who uses Tinder the most? And how many people use Tinder? We’re going to look at some Tinder statistics.
There are so many dating apps these days offering different features and styles, but the numbers don’t lie, and Tinder is the most downloaded dating app in the world.
Dude Hack Exclusive Offers
With over 6 million downloads in January 2021 alone, Tinder is expected to have over 57 million users globally by the end of 2021. Insane! That number surely must include plenty of different types of people. Tinder is most popular in the good old USA, probably partly because of its enormous population.
In the past few years, Tinder has been an app mainly used by millennials and has struggled to grab the attention of Gen Z, but that’s now changed with the number of Gen Z users shooting up.
Of course, the number of users gets lower with age, but there’s still plenty of older people on there, using Tinder for plenty of reasons.
In fact, the oldest woman on Tinder is 83. Or at least the oldest woman who was honest about her age… maybe when you’re over 75 lying is kind of pointless though?
Anyway, if you’re a rare Tinder novice and want to know more about the app in general, my article on how Tinder works is a useful intro.
Top Tinder Facts
As Tinder has been around since the dawn of time (dating app time that is, so around 2012), there are plenty of fun facts floating around about the app. Here are my favorites:
- Tinder has 75 million active monthly users worldwide.
- Over 30 million matches are made every day on Tinder.
- The majority of Tinder users are in the USA, at 7.8 million.
- 76.9% of Tinder users in 2020 were men.
- 95% of people meet within a week of matching on Tinder.
- You have a 14% better chance of matching if you smile in your photos.
- On March 28th 2020 Tinder recorded its highest number of right swipes- 3 billion!
- Tinder has 9 different options for sexual orientation and 37 options for gender identification.
- In 2020 Tinder had over 6 million paying customers, and made 1.2 billion dollars.
Which Age Group Uses Tinder The most?
So, of all the different places and people, which age group uses Tinder the most? I’ll tell you.
In 2020, people aged 25-44, millennials, were the biggest users of the app. 2021 saw Tinder rise in usage for the younger Gen Z, who now make up 50% of Tinder users, according to Tinder.
This is a huge jump since 2020 where Gen Z was only around 20% of users. So the Tinder age range is mostly people aged 24-44. 2021 also saw a rise in 75+ Tinder users, just in case you’re interested.
That’s a pretty big range of ages, but that’s great! The more the merrier, with so many users and so many different ages there are dates to be had for everyone, at any age, with any age preference. Tinder, the great dating equalizer.
Who Is Tinder’s Target Market?
Given its huge popularity with Gen Z and Millenials, you’d think that Tinder’s target market is people aged 24-44. And you’d be right! Well, sort of.
According to the Marcom Avenue Marketing Agency, any person who is over the age of 18 and single is Tinder’s target audience. That’s casting a pretty wide net but makes sense given that the dating pool covers basically everyone on earth.
While they’re aiming for the skies trying to appeal to all adults, Tinder’s marketing style, which is fun, fast, and clickable, as well as other marketing strategies like ‘gamifying the dating experience’ would suggest that they are mainly trying to appeal to the social media generations, which has obviously worked given the usage stats.
Young people were pretty hard nuts to crack with online dating, seen as an aging spinster’s game back in the hazy days of the early 2010s, but Tinder managed it and we never looked back.
Which City Uses Tinder The Most?
It seems super likely that Tinder has infiltrated every city in the world, but which city uses Tinder the most? Maybe a good list to plan your holidays around?! Here are the top five.
- London, England
That’s right, the top city for Tinder in the world! As a very densely populated and diverse city, I guess it has something for everyone. I’m going to take my date to that big clock.
- Paris, France
Of course, no surprise that the city of love almost tops the list. With a rich culture and I can only assume romance in the air 24/7, head to France’s capital for a Tinder frenzy!
- New York City, USA
Here we are, the Big Apple! New York coming in third doesn’t shock me. Spend one day in New York and the intense hustle and bustle make it obvious that it’s a good city for a date.
- Berlin, Germany
Another cosmopolitan city with a fun reputation, Berlin comes up 4th on the list. They say Germans are pretty kinky, so I bet there are some interesting Tinder dates to be had there.
- Moscow, Russia
There are 12 million people in Moscow, and apparently, lots of them are on Tinder. Moscow also claims to have the most billionaires in the world, do you think they use Tinder or a secret luxury dating app?!
Well, get planning your vacation now!
Tinder Users By Country
As you’ll see, number one is the United States, with over a million downloads a month in 2021, and hundreds of thousands of dates.
1. United States
2. United Kingdom
8. The Netherlands
19. New Zealand
It’s pretty cool that Tinder is popular in so many countries.
Summary Of Tinder Users
Well kids we’ve learned a lot today, about who, what, where, when people use Tinder. So here’s a summary of Tinder users.
- Gen Z users are increasing: Until 2021, Tinder was the app of the millennial dater, but Gen Z use of the app has risen and people aged 18-24 make up about half of users. So if you’re in that age range you’re in luck! If you’re new to dating in general I have loads of articles from how to personalize your Tinder opener to Tinder bio do’s and don’ts.
- Tinder’s Target Market: Tinder claims that its target market is literally everyone over 18, though their marketing appeals most to 18-40 year olds. To be fair to them, they’re doing a pretty good job. If you’re between the ages of 18 and 25 you’ve got a good chance of matching with lots of people. But if you’re one of Tinder’s older users why not look at my post, can over 40’s use Tinder?
- Top Tinder Cities: The top cities to use Tinder in are London, Paris and New York. A fine top three and great places to get started on swiping. That said, there’s also plenty of users in small towns and cities all over the world! So get swiping there too.
That was a lot to take in. Give it another read if you need to. But, If you’ve come to find out who uses Tinder the most and aren’t happy with answers then maybe Tinder isn’t the app for you anyway, take my quiz and find out which one is.